Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Bomber - Ypsilanti, Michigan

The Bomber is easily the best breakfast place in the area. Huge portions of fresh food, creative combinations and such a bargain for what you get! I ate breakfast here with my parents, needing an indulgent splurge of calories. Boy did I come to the right place.

I ordered a full order Cowboy Skillet, a huge bowl of hash browns with onions with bacon, eggs to order and cheddar cheese. There was an upcharge to cover it with country gravy but man was it worth it! The half order would have been enough for me, you could easily split it with a friend. The scrambled eggs were perfect. The bowl was just incredible, buttery potatoes, sweet onion, creamy lucious gravy and crisp but not overcooked bacon. Mmmmm. The rye toast that came with was hearty and thick, perfectly toasted with just a dab of butter. I took just over half home with me and it reheated well.

My father let me sample his Homemade Corned Beef Hash. Chunky with fresh corned beef, buttery potatoes, onions and green peppers. Mighty good stuff but not as much my thing. My mother's sunny side up eggs were picture perfect, in fact all the eggs were amazingly well cooked. They each had leftovers too, I think it's hard to avoid it here.

We split an order of Nature Lover's pancakes, full of pecans, blueberries and raspberries. Three giantic fluffy cakes. I could only eat half of one. They were so delicious they didnt even need butter and syrup. My father was in heaven, I was close behind. Words cannot do this big stack justice.

I pretty quickly decided that my husband needs to go here. Breakfast is his thing and the portions in here will make him smile. If it sounds huge, it is. They have a special breakfast here that would feed anyone's appetite called The Bomber. A pound of breakfast potatoes, a pound of breakfast meat, four eggs to order and choice of toast.

We saw lots of people getting the pancakes, a lot were getting the special of the day too, real turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy. The sandwiches are man sized and everything looked incredible.

The decor is all aeronautical, with planes and even bombs overhead and aviation themed memorabilia on the walls. Countryish decor fills in. Not unpleasant at all. The neighborhood is a bit run down but inside it is quite homey.

I highly recommend The Bomber. I can't wait to go back. Bring a big appetite or share.
Bomber on Urbanspoon

No comments: