Friday, October 3, 2008

Oslo - Detroit, Michigan

Oslo is a nice place around the corner from where I work. They have a big menu of numerous Asian dishes from various countries of origin as well as a sushi bar. I stopped in with a co-worker to have a peek as she got takeout sushi and returned the very next day to try it myself.

As you know if you read this blog on any type of regular basis, I am a sushi fan. I'm not hugely picky which works for my wallet but I can indeed tell good from the merely mediocre. Oslo is very good indeed but not stellar. The prices are about what you would expect, a bit higher than my bargains in the burbs but not anything too out there by any means.

The sushi chef is very nice and was more than happy to demonstrate for me as he made up my to go box. He works efficiently and tidily, as all good sushi chefs do. I was sad not to see knife work but I enjoyed myself at any rate. His fish was already beautifully sliced and he made quite nice tight rolls.

I had the Oslo sushi combination B which features your choice of roll (spicy tuna, spicy white tuna, california or avocado and cucumber) plus 6 pieces of chef's choice nigiri sushi for 16.00. I added a salmon roll because I was starving. It made quite a lovely array.

The spicy tuna was quite zesty, I liked the heat a lot. The salmon was fresh, rich and buttery and a perfect foil for the spice of the tuna. The nigiri was a solid combination including salmon, tuna and shrimp. I felt quite piggish but happy at any rate.

They gave me plenty of wasabi, soy sauce and ginger with the requisite chopsticks, sending along a little cup for dipping, packing me off on my merry way. Very nice to go I must say.

Now if they had better deals or a coupon I would be here all the time.

No comments: