Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dynasty Buffet - Ypsilanti, Michigan

My mother brought me here one night, she and my father like coming here after she goes to work out. She lured me with the idea it was very similar to Fortune Buffet in Livonia. In looks yes, in general food yes, in sushi ummm no.

I am really only into Asian buffets for sushi. This sushi was very grocery store type and bland. They are not quick on refills of the more popular types and what they do make is the simple varieties only. When there is a crowd you will wait quite awhile for more and some simply do not get refilled as the guy in charge manages the cook station as well.

The dumplings here are stellar. Refilled often and perfect. The fish was nice, you could slice it right off the bone. The mussels were a bit big for my taste, the smaller ones are more tender. The crab was of course snow crab and really taken the second they came out by people who just stood there waiting so unless you wanted to wait and be willing to be rude then you were out of luck. I am not a snow crab leg fan at any rate.

The fresh fruit was nice and the soups were quite delicious, the rest of the selections a bit too fried for my taste, I prefer less coated and am avoiding too much grease myself.

The staff was very attentive and friendly, the place is clean and nice enough but it is no Fortune Buffet. I am just not a buffet fan as a general rule and that one is tough to live up to in my opinion.

Try it if sushi is not your main concern and you are into more typical chinese food. I would suggest lunch as it is cheaper and less crowded.

No comments: