Monday, September 15, 2008

Mason's Lounge INC - Livonia, Michigan

My sincerest apologies to the vegetarians, vegans and health fanatics of the world (my dietician in particular) , but I am a hamburger fan. I must confess that now. I like double burgers in particular especially hand formed patties cooked so that they are still juicy. Fries I can live without but man do I live for a burger. Heck I can even do without the bun if need be.

Mason's is legendary. A dark and smoky bar with all junk local as decor (license plates, old street signs and the like). It really is not what I would call a homey atmosphere unless you grew up at a truck stop. This is definitely not a place to bring anyone who needs impressing, unless like me all they need to impress them is great burgers.

The only things I have ever eaten in Mason's are burgers and sides of fries or O rings. I see other food in there and even hear tales of it being good, but I will always get a burger. Period. Once you taste one you will be hooked too.

The best burger here is the Double Shift, two third of a pound patties with your melted choice of cheese- Swiss, Cheddar, American or Mozzarella for 5.65. It is served on an onion roll or plain bun with lettuce, tomato and mayo. You also get a dill pickle with it. You can add bacon or olives for extra but you really don't need them. Any other condiments you might need are in a little metal container they bring to you to doctor up your burger just as you like it. The burger itself is just perfect, too big of course but isn't that the beauty of it?

The fries are extra and are your typical ridged affairs, hot and fresh but not the main attraction at any rate, single order is 1.95 or get the red basket for 3.95 and share with a friend or three for cheap. The O Rings are 2.75 and nice enough.

This is not a heath food place, other items include fried fish on a plate or a bun, kielbasa, hot dogs, coneys, BLTs, sloppy joes, beefy chili, fried chicken bites and strips. You name unhealthy food and here it is. Their low cal option is chicken or tuna salad in a pita, somehow I am guessing they don't use non fat mayo though. This is no issue for me as I expect to eat unhealthy in a bar but I am giving you fair warning, there is no healthy option here and really did you expect there to be?

If you are a petite eater they do have single burger option which my mother says is quite delicious but I just can't resist the double and I am not embarrassed about that a bit. I just eat better the rest of the week.

Go on and try Mason's, splurge on the calories. In the Entertainment book there is a coupon for buy one get one free, so it will not be a splurge on the wallet at any rate.

No comments: