Friday, September 5, 2008

The Plymouth Fall Festival - Plymouth, Michigan

Once a year we have a fest that revolves around food in my hometown, it is happening this weekend. All proceeds go to local charitable organizations so you are indulging for a good cause at least. It all started with a simple chicken barbecue to raise funds for the Rotary Club, now it is a four day extravaganza with many different organizations offering up good food to raise money for their interests.

Hands down the Chicken Dinner on Sunday is the best thing going. The chicken is marinated and perfectly grilled, a taste like no other I swear. I crave the stuff all year long. You get a nicely seasoned half chicken served with corn on the cob, a dinner roll, a bag of potato chips, soft drink or bottled water and a dessert item that varies. If you are looking for a bargain buy your tickets before Sunday for a two dollar discount. You do not even have to come to the fest for this item, they have pickup spots throughout the city for your convenience. Try it and you too will be back year after year to have it again, it's worth the money.

The other thing that is a MUST try at the fest is found at the Polish National Alliance Dancers booth. These sweet girls have their grandmothers and mothers cooking some of the best pierogies I have ever eaten. The cheese is the superior choice to me but my mom swears by the kraut. Never have I eaten better anywhere but at a grandma's house. The other items here are good but the pierogies are just heaven in your mouth.

In the morning on Saturday is the annual Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast, a bargain at five bucks in advance, it will cost six at the door. I have numerous friends who never miss it. On Saturday night there is an all you can eat Spaghetti dinner but I never go to be honest. For eight dollars presale it is a deal, it will cost you nine at the door.

Other booths have items like Corn Dogs, Hot Dogs, Homemade Lemonade, Yaki Tori and Cider and Doughnuts. They vary every year but are manned with various worthy groups selling tasty treats. Last year there was a dessert booth that had extremely good pastries that was brand new. You never know what you might find this year.

So swing by the fall fest and fill your belly while supporting worthy causes that benefit the area. Whatever you do at least get a Chicken Dinner or some Pierogies. It is near and dear to my heart but also so very tasty for my belly.

1 comment:

Mneme said...

Yum! I can't wait for the Fallasburg Festival so I can take Damian. They don't serve anything tasty like you've mentioned but it is always fun and Fallasburg park is gorgeous in the end of September.
Only problem is I think it is the same weekend I am doing the Komen Breast Cancer walk. Rats.