Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ichiban Japanese Hibachi and Sushi Bar - Ypsilanti, Michigan

*****Limited time special alert*****

All sushi rolls and sushi entrees are 50% off as a fall special until mid November. That is a steal! I saw this deal on Ichiban's windows in passing when reviewing Dynasty Buffet and told my mother we had to check this place out. I figured even if it was less than stellar now was the time to find out.

Hallelujah! The sushi here is fabulous. Fresh and well prepared. I had my fave Chirashi as did my mother my mother for a mere 8 bucks apiece! It was a deep square bowl full of a variety of perfect fish, shrimp, surimi crab piece, that fabulous egg omelet and utterly perfect sushi rice. No lettuce but I kind of liked the switch.

The bowls came with smaller bowls of nice enough miso soup and really excellent salad. The salad had a very good dressing and was an utter delight.

We also decided to take a whirl at the rolls. My mom picked a Philly roll and I needed to try the Spicy Tuna. Both were top notch. Too much food for us with the generous portions of chirashi but hard to pass up the bargain rate of under three bucks per roll.

We sipped nice hot cups of green tea that were ok. I have had much better tea and I prefer having a pot to share. It's a minor complaint though. I am a tea person.

As we dined the table behind us received the special Love Boat for two meal. It is ginormous with 10 pcs of sushi, 16 sashimi and three rolls. I am so getting that next time, I may have to skip a meal to be hungry enough though.

I highly recommend a bargathon stop in at Ichiban. An excellent sushi place at rock bottom prices. I will be returning myself soon.

I returned October 12th for the Love Boat. Mmmm all I had hoped for. We had six different types of sashimi (three pieces of each type), 10 different hand rolls, two regular combo rolls (a deluxe type eel and a california roll) and one specialty roll which was the special of the day I think. The specialty roll was a tempura shrimp roll covered in spicy tuna and two sauces, it was honestly to die for. We also got the miso soup, which was better this time, and the excellent salad.

So much food and so worth it. I am definitely going back before the special prices are done. We are debating all different types of rolls and I think we are just going to try all we can for the bargathon price. A head's up, it was a Saturday night and they were hopping, we lucked into a cool private booth but I would suggest making a reservation if you are going on the weekend.

I am honestly glad to see them doing a great business. Such nice people and honestly right now it is the best sushi around, even at full price I will be back.

October 31st
We returned yet again. This time it was for chirashi and some special rolls. We are just in love with the chirashi. This time the rice was served seperately. I was happy to see a new array of fish, I think they serve which is freshest.

For special rolls we had some debate. We went with the Happy Dragon Roll and the Ichiban Roll, mostly as my mother is adoring crunchy and both these rolls feature a center of tempura shrimp. I was thrilled with the Happy Dragon as I was dying for eel but was surprisingly just as happy with the Ichiban Roll with its three varieties of tuna and addition of salmon. I would order either again.

We also added a Philadelphia roll as my mom needs her cream cheese fest and a Spicy Crispy Tuna roll just to satisfy my curiosity. Honestly every item we had was stellar, we just realized we need to order less next time as we really struggled to finish even after having walked in starving (I deliberately had missed lunch).

Hurry in, the special ends November 16th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We loved this, too! They are really nice to kids, and my 10 yo really enjoyed the kids' plate. The special allowed us to have quite a spread!