Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Breadbasket Deli - Livonia, Michigan

I am going to review this as it is the best corned beef in the area. It's a limited review as I only ever order one thing in this place and I am not willing to ever change up even to help you out. I am a #3 Corned Beef, period. It comes on triple decker white toast with swiss, coleslaw and russian dressing. I know, I know, white toast but try it and you will never go back to rye. Trust me. You taste corned beef in all its glory with nothing else vying for your attention.

I see a few people ordering the lean or extra lean variety in here but don't wuss out. Corned beef is not health food, it is utter deliciousness studded with juicy bits of fat. I am not saying indulge every day but c'mon people if you are going to go for it, go for the gusto. Eat only half the sandwich like I do instead of somehow trying to make it healthier. Really you will be hard pressed to finish the whole thing unless you are a huge eater anyhow.

My mother and late grandmother are fans of the pastrami version of the #3 but except for James no one in my family deviates from #3. James is just stubborn. He is very pissy about the fact they do not carry cheddar here and therefore will not order anything in silent protest, which is fine as I get my sammie to go. He says the roast beef was nice on the one sammie he did try in here but without cheddar he will never try it again, even though we take the thing home and he could ummmm add some cheddar of his own. Silly man does not like corned beef or pastrami at any rate so I think maybe the Breadbasket should have put the kibosh on him at any rate rather than the other way around but I digress.

The sides in here are ok. Nothing special. I do highly recommend the New Pickles, a less aged pickle that has the snap of a cucumber but a good fresh dill flavor. I always get a whole one cut up to go with my feast.

They have a coupon for a dollar off a sandwich here: http://www.breadbasketdelis.com/coupons.htm

Go on, be bad. It won't kill you. If you like corned beef, try this Detroit classic. There are five in the metro area but I am a Livonia girl personally.

No comments: