Sunday, August 24, 2008

Szechuan - Canton, Michigan

This has long been my absolute favorite Chinese restaurant in the area. It is not cheap at dinner and there are no great coupons but I recommend it anyway. That should tell you something right there. This restaurant is so good we actually drag the food down to St. Louis whenever we see my sister, she misses it that much. They mention something about a deal for a dollar off for every ten you spend here: http://szechuancanton.com/SzechuanCanton.html

I always get a pan fried dumpling appetizer here. The pork filled dumplings are always perfectly cooked and the filling is just so good. I ask for some hot chili oil to spice up the dark brown sauce with scallions that goes with them. It could easily be your whole meal but I share them. The Wrapped Spicy Chicken is like a chicken dumpling minus the skin, unwrap the foil and eat it like a dumpling, delicious. The Cold Noodles in Spicy Sesame Sauce are a cheap lunch at 3 dollars. I adore their peanut tasting sauce and the crunch of the veggie accents.

Lunch is a pretty good deal in here and are plenty to fill you up. Their soups are excellent, I recommend any but have a special fondness for the Wonton. My mother is a sucker for the Hot and Sour though, while my sister swears by the Egg Drop. The lunches come with your choice of fried or steamed rice, My sister and I stick with steamed but the fried is loved by the rest of my family. You also can have Crab Rangoons or a Spring Roll, both are good but I always take a Spring Roll.

The Baby Shrimp in Spicy Szechuan Sauce is amazing. So tender and flavorful, I love how spicy they can make it too. The Hunan Chicken is perfect, I love all the veggies in it. The General Tsou Chicken is the very best I have ever had and worth going off a diet for. The coating so very light and the sauce a sticky spicy delight. It is served on bean sprouts which are happy. The Sesame Chicken is a fave of my dad, it is very good indeed, again not too much breading, just a lightly coated fry job. The Beef in Garlic and Ginger Sauce is fabulous, tender and just the right flavor, if you want spicy you need to ask for it extra spicy, as beef doesn't take spice as easily as shrimp or chicken. Medium is the minimum spice I order but I prefer Hot or Extra Hot on almost all these items. At dinner a must is the Crispy Shrimp in Champagne Sauce. So lightly fried in an amazing tempura type batter and the sauce is to die for. Get it spiced Hot for a treat.

As far as veg, I have had the Home Style Tofu with a friend and found it quite tasty. I am waiting to go back with her to try the Sesame or Kung Pao Tofu which both sound yummy. The Ginger Garlic Eggplant was delicious so I am sure the broccoli would be just as tasty. The Moo Shu Vegetables were fun and different. There are some fun veg choices here which I like, especially as a lot of the entrees are not full of veggies.

They redid the restaurant about a year ago and the interior is quite nice and soothing. Servers are great, efficient and accommodating. The owner is a peach who of course remembers a girl who gets six dinners to go on an airplane on a fairly regular basis. The tea is always piping hot and the water glasses are refilled regularly.

If you like good and spicy Chinese food you will like it here. I love it and pay full price happily, although I do usually come for lunch unless I am wanting to splurge.

No comments: