Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Sheikh - Canton, Michigan

This place is so very friendly, the manager is a peach and service is lightning fast. If only they had La Shish homemade oven style pita I would be thrilled. This little restaurant in a strip mall doesn't look like much but the food is remarkably good, some rivals the old La Shish for flavor.

Of course this place has coupons, you know me. They can be found in the Save On Dining mailed circular or here online: http://www.saveoneverything.com/moreinfo.php?advertiser_code=7344590500#.

My mother swears the Deboned Chicken here is as good as La Shish, I agree. The Shish Kafta is actually better than anyone else's locally, much more balance of flavor than I have found at the La Shishes even. It is also just so perfectly cooked. For those of you who are not Kafta fans, I always explain it's like a grilled Mediterraean meatloaf, so good. The Kabobs are a bit dry for me but still good. The prices are much better here on nearly all items as well.

I loved the salads but was not as in love with the tabbouli which seemed like it needed to sit and marinate awhile longer. The rice was perfect and again ahhhh pickled radish. The veggies were very nice indeed. The hummus is creamy and tasty, I definitely recommend it. The garlic sauce is so yummy and makes everything else even happier.

As an added bonus the owner threw in dessert, rich pieces of baklava, all crispy, nutty and delicious.

The major disappointment here is the pita. Cold in baggies. Sigh. I cannot begin to tell you what this does to my heart. It's just jarring from such an otherwise nice place. Other than that I really love it here. If pita is not your main focus you will not mind a bit. I just wanted those like me to be prepared. I still eat here and actually probably do better without eating so much starch at any rate.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

OH YUM! Lady I miss you. People on PC think I am a huge bitch...they put up D&D boards and it was fun until people started being babies and posting pointless crap. Oh well.

So thanks for all these food reviews of places I can't eat. Helpful. Really helpful. ;P