Saturday, August 9, 2008

Karl's Cabin - Plymouth, Michigan

This is a place with some history to it. Johnny Cash once played here for goodness sakes, you gotta love that. They also have seriously good food in good quantities and I do love that with a great deal of respect. You can often find coupons for here in the Clipper magazine and I advise you join their e-club too found here: http://www.karlscabin.com/ . My first mailing was a coupon for fifteen bucks off so that made me happy indeed.

I have eaten here on numerous occasions and it is always top notch. I recommend starting with the Smoked Whitefish & Salmon Pate platter, with its fun crackers and toasted pita it is just yum. The Calamari comes with a tasty tomato, caper and scallion beurre blanc. The Mussels are sauteed in a white wine and garlic clam sauce and served on a bed of spinach, so freaking good. The owners here are Greek so of course there is Saganaki, a gooey and delicious flaming kasseri cheese block. I just love when they flame it tableside.

The soups here are tasty but I am not a fan of the bland chili. The starter salads are delicious and I love that at dinner you can substitute a Greek, Caesar or incredible Forest Walnut as one of the choices.

You can make salad your whole meal here and not regret it. The Forest Walnut has candied walnuts, dried cherries, grilled chicken breast and delicious gorgonzola to make you very happy. The Steak and Spinach is one of my faves with tenderloin tips, roasted red peppers, egg and parm covered spinach drizzled with warm bacon vinaigrette. So filling. The bread basket that comes with has delicious rye bread and hard crunchy breadsticks that are tasty too.

Sandwiches are huge here and use quality meats. I adore the Cajun Chicken Cordon Bleu on its pretzel roll. The French Dip with provolone is delicious as is the Roast Beef Hoagie with mozzarella, grilled onions, mushrooms and zippy horseradish, often they have a sandwich on special that is like a combo pf the two and that is primo. The baked Turkey Bruschetta has sliced turkey, mozzarella, grated parmesan, fresh basil, minced garlic, olive oil and diced tomato and smells just as amazing as it tastes.

The burgers come with a buffalo option and are either in 1/3 or half pound varities. The Patty Melt is yummy, the Blackened Bleu comes with grilled onions and bleu cheese and the Rocky Mountain burger is a surprise with tasty ham, swiss, cole slaw and thousand island dressing. You really can't go wrong with any of them. If you add bacon you always get a ton of it.

Entrees are hearty. I love the Roasted Half Chicken with herb olive oil but my mom prefers the BBQ option. My dad is a big fan of the huge Grecian Pork Chops, boneless and perfectly marinated so they are tender after the grilling. The St Louis Style BBQ Ribs have the best BBQ sauce. The Rosemary Bourbon Flank Steak is marinated overnight and just smells so good and cuts so easily. My moms loves the Liver and Onions here, saying they are seond best only to Herc's which have long been her favorites. I do not eat liver so I am no judge on that matter. The Beef Tips are excellent and come with a cheesy mashed potato to boot.

Pasta here is homemade by Mama Mucci and if I weren't trying to cut down on carbs I would be all over it. The Tomato, Basil and Chicken Pignola has a zippy touch of balsamic vinegar. The Seafood Palamino has crab, shrimp, scallops and mussels with roasted red peppers in a tomato cream sauce. The Shrimp and Scallop Angelina has garlic, spinach and wine with parsley butter over airy angel hair. Any will make you very happy.

The atmosphere here is cozy with a dash of elegance. The attire is golf casual. Staff is friendly and attentive. If you like good quality food in good quantity you have to give Karl's Cabin a try. I highly recommend it.

No comments: