Sunday, August 10, 2008

Herc's Prime Beef and Seafood - Livonia, Michigan

I knew I had to review this place after my post about Liver and Onions at Karl's. I have been coming to Herc's for years with my parents, so I happen to know the owner here personally. David is a great chef and a real sweetheart personally too but I will try to stick to reviewing just his food. You can find purchasable coupons for Herc's here: http://www.restaurant.com/ as well as free ones here: http://www.saveoneverything.com/moreinfo.php?advertiser_code=7344251830# or on the restaurants website here: http://www.hercsprimebeef.com/ .

I have been coming to Herc's so long I do not even need to read a menu. I usually order a special at any rate. David is very creative and the specials are always just really fabulous and fresh. They run the gamut from scallops, fresh fish or garlic roasted prime rib to kielbasa and kraut, deep fried smelt or liver and onions. From the elegant to home cooking classics, all are done well and in heaping portions.

My husband is hooked on the Fried Shrimp here, a big enough portion to satisfy his ginormous appetite. They are giant, perfectly coated in a light batter and never greasy. He also loves getting a Cheddar Burger without the sauteed onions, stubborn man.

My father usually gets the Rib Snack which is quite a big portion of ribs in a very tasty BBQ sauce. He is also very fond of the Lake Perch Sandwich which has three perfectly fried pieces of fish on a bun with lettuce tomato and tartar sauce. Occasionally he will get a Roast Beef Dinner but he likes it best covered in gravy rather than with the au jus that I prefer. He says the Smelt here are the best he has had and they are hard to find elsewhere at any rate.

My mother also loves the smelt but she is addicted to the Liver and Onions, tender and delicious with lots of grilled onions and crispy bacon. She often gets the Burrito Supreme which is huge. The Roasted Garlic Prime Rib is an occasional order for her, she really loves it but it is a lot of meat. She also has a real fondness for the Garlic Chicken Parmesan, the Frog Legs and the Clam Strips.

I love the Shrimp and Scallops either sauteed or fried. I adore all the various fresh fish dishes, especially the Salmon. On the menu you can always get Salmon Rockefeller, Dijon Honey Pecan Encrusted Salmon or Basil Pesto Salmon and all three are winners. I am fond of the Breasts of Chicken done cajun style, simple but delicious. I too will indulge in a Herc Burger with either swiss or provolone and added bacon. For the added 75¢ you get so much bacon your eyes will pop. If I ever see the Kielbasa and Kraut on special I am all over it, it can easily feed you for two meals, possibly three.

Soups here are always fabulous and piping hot. I love the Creamy Mushroom, Ham and Bean, Cabbage, the French Onion, I could go on and on. My husband likes the Chicken Noodle here quite a bit. You cannot go wrong. The salad bar here is tiny but delicious with great toppings. I am addicted to the homemade creamy garlic dressing, possibly one of the only creamy dressing I can stomach. The rolls are also always fresh and crusty good.

The atmosphere here is not a match to the food, dark and a bit less than elegant. Attire is fairly casual. Kids eat free on Mondays and they are open late and get a decent bar crowd. I do adore it. It is a place where they remember you, the waitresses know their stuff and you get great food for a good price. Give it a whirl, you will be surprised.

No comments: