Sunday, August 17, 2008

Grand Traverse Pie Company - Plymouth, Michigan

If you want pie, this is the place to come. A bit spendy but you know you want to indulge in more ways than one. Besides the only other pie specialty place (Baker's Square) is virtually disappearing from our area, you won't much care though once you taste these pies.

The Grand Traverse Pie Company has food but for now all I am reviewing is dessert. This is possibly the best non-homemade pie I have ever had. The cream pies are smooth and creamy with flaky crusts. The crumb topped fruit pies are sweet and have the best crusts around. The traditional topped fruit pies are good but trust me, get crumb instead.

Ironically the very best item in this place is a Lemon Square. A mere 1.99 and found in the refrigerated section. A taste of heaven in a bar. A shortcake like bottom with a creamy gel lemony middle topped with a bit of cakey layer covered in powdered sugar. Bliss, absolute freaking bliss. I could eat one every day of my life. The other bars are just ok. I can make better.

Cookies are meh. Big and a decent value but as somewhat of a cookie expert I say don't waste the time or the calories.

There is a peanut butter muffin looking creation with a swirled chocolate middle reminiscent of a kiss that is also 1.99 and to die for. My husband quite enjoys. It is a cross btween a cookie and a tart.

Chocolate Peanut Butter is a great cream pie and just so delicious and smooth. The Key Lime is amazing, creamy and just the right tart level. The Chocolate Cream is fine but I am not dying to have it again.

The Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb is perfect. The Apple Crumb is a touch too sweet but that doesn't bother my sweet toothed husband. Blueberry Crumb is my father's absolute favorite pie there and I must admit it is quite good. The Cherry Crumb is great as well. All are great with the store ice cream with it, a delicious vanilla.

As I am avoiding sweets I am doing my best to pretend this place does not exist. A word of warning though, do not buy the last Lemon Square just in case I have an emergency....

No comments: