Sunday, August 24, 2008

Carrabbas - Canton, Michigan

I try not to review too many big chain places but I do want to review here as it is my favorite of the chain places. It does not have coupons but I don't really care because it is consistently great food. We have also visited the one on Novi and it is every bit as good.

The appetizers in here are great. The Cozze In Bianco are fresh Canadian Cove mussels from Prince Edward Island steamed in white wine, basil, lemon butter and Pernod. You can easily share them with four people, such a deal. The sauce is so good to dip bread into too. The Shrimp Scampi is my husband's fave, sautéed with garlic, white wine, herbs and lemon butter, served with garlic toast for dipping. A small portion for what you pay though so be warned. The flavor, however is top notch.

I love the soups in here. My favorites are the Mama Mandola's Sicilian Chicken Soup, a zesty soup with delicate noodles and the spicier Lentil and Sausage, an absolute delight. I basically could just get a bowl of soup and bread in here and be totally happy. My family also likes the Minestrone but I must confess I never get it. The salads are nice too but I would never pick them over soup to be honest.

I almost always get one of two dishes in here. If I am looking for something light I get the excellent Tagliarini Picchi Picchiu, a fine pasta in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil. I add grilled chicken as all the grilled items here are so incredibly good. If I am looking to splurge I get the Chicken Bryan which is grilled chicken breast topped with a sharp goat cheese, sundried tomatoes and a basil lemon butter sauce. I always ask for Fettucini Alfredo as my side pasta and they always allow it. Calorie heaven I know but honestly this is the only fettucini alfredo I eat outside of my own homemade and frankly it is way better than mine.

My husband always gets something with Fettucini Alfredo. Usually Filet Fiorentino with a double side of it. The filet is incredibly good, just melt in your mouth tender perfection. As Carrabbas is owned by the same company that owns Outback its really no wonder.

My parents are fans of the Spiedino di Mare, shrimp and sea scallops coated with Italian breadcrumbs, grilled and topped with lemon butter sauce. Good but not a whole lot of it in my opinion. I love when they have the Chicken Trio on special as I am a huge fan of the Bryan but also quite like the Marsala with the proscuitto and mushroom sauce and the Rosa Maria with the fontina, proscuitto, mushroom and basil lemon butter sauce.

One of the things I love about here is we always have leftovers, my husband and I both make it a two meal deal when we dine, that makes me feel better about spending too much. This place is also special to us as we have had numerous romantic events together in the dimly lit interior, so it always feels happy here for us.

So if you want a top of the line chain with reliable food, good service and a nice atmosphere you cannot go wrong with Carrabbas.

No comments: