Friday, July 11, 2008

Ahmo's Gyros and Deli- Ann Arbor, Michigan

Ahmo's advertises itself as the best Gyros in the area. The claim is not far off the mark. There was a coupon in the Clipper magazine for 3 Gyros for 10.99 that I was unable to resist so I visited the Ahmo's on Stone School Road with my parents.

I was not impressed with the interior at all, it is vaguely like a casual restaurant planted in the middle of a gas station convenience store. The plus side is you can conceivably have any beverage you ever imagined with your meal as it can be found in the numerous refrigerator cases. The tables were fine and the chairs comfy but the resulting ambiance was considerably declasse.

The food was surprisingly fresh and tasty. My father and I had the original Gyro which was lovely. The cucumber sauce was too thin but very flavorful. There was plenty of meat and there seemed to be quite nice tomatoes and onion on it, not too many so you really noticed the lamb and beef flavors. The pita was puffy and beautifully warm. They also have a Fiesty Gyro which is the same but with added spicy style feta cheese. My mother ate the Ahmo's Gyro which included chicken and lettuce to the original but used a garlic dressing rather than cucumber sauce, she really liked it.

The greek salad was full of super fresh lettuce, clearly not out of a bag. The dressing was quite zesty rather than the sweet dressing which you find a lot of places. I was disappointed with the veggie selection in that there was not a beet to be seen but the olives were excellent and there was a ton of delicious feta cheese.

They have some great looking and reasonably priced combos that I will be returning to sample, including a hummus with meat, rice, pita and salad for 7.99.

If you are not looking for atmosphere but rather a quick bite with some healthier options (not that I took advantage) then Ahmo's may be the place for you. They have three locations, all in Ann Arbor.

No comments: