Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cheeburger Cheeburger - Livonia, Michigan

We decided to give this place a try. It has had several mentions as one of the better burger places and I had a half off coupon in our Entertainment book. I checked it out online beforehand and was excited to see among their burger toppings were cheddar cheese, teriyaki and pineapple, a slam dunk in my husband's book. Needless to say I had high hopes.

We arrived and it was a wreck. The restaurant was not that crowded but it seemed that way. The set up is awful. They tried to seat us in the front but I asked for a table in the roomier back area. Our waiter was less than helpful even when we explained it was our first visit. Scanning the menu we saw there was no teriyaki or pineapple topping, when we asked we were told they only have what they list on their menu, not what is on the website.

Disappointed we moved on. We both decided on the Angus Burger platter which comes with a bun only on request. I went to town on toppings; provolone, extra lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, jalapenos and onion rings. I chose onion rings with texas horseradish sauce and coleslaw as my sides. James went simple with a bun, double cheddar cheese and a side of A1 sauce, his sides were the fries with creamy cheese dip and a side salad with ranch.

As we waited and waited and waited for our food we noticed a lot of agitation from others waiting. There were screaming kids, flustered parents and a table that was calling frantically to keep an appointment as they waited for their to go order. Mind you the restaurant at this point was barely half full.

James finally got his salad but no cole slaw for me. The salad had very nice lettuce but not much else. We got our drinks in paper cups and were less than impressed, the pop was quite flat even and very little ice so it was none too cold.

Again we waited and waited and waited. At one point I saw another waitress talking to our waiter and pointing at us as another server brought out our not so piping hot food. Frankly I think he failed to pick up our order and it was under the warmer too long.

When our food arrived, it was not the heaping platter you would hope for. There was not much of each type of fixing, even ones you asked for extra of. The burgers were unimpressive, but hey they were none too hot so who knows if they had been fresher. The onion rings and fries were skimpy. My o rings at least had good taste, James had part limp and part dried out fries, sad really. My cole slaw was in the tiniest paper cup you have ever seen and tasted less than fresh to boot. I was highly annoyed.

When we were almost done our waiter came back to check on us, gee thanks. Seeing our empty cups he asked if there was anything he could get. When I said "More pop please" he seemed annoyed. He walked away and had to return to see if it was diet or regular, small favor. After a lengthy wait for that we also had to wait on the bill, even going up to the counter to remind them "Hey we got a movie to get to" after an hour and a half of a simple burger meal.

We had planned to return for dessert later after our movie but figured we had had enough for one night. Thank goodness for the coupon or the night would have been a total wash. We will not be returning.

Update: I was so upset about this dining experience I informed the company via email. They sent me a twenty dollar certificate to give the place another try. My husband is still reluctant but I will be giving you the second scoop at some point. I confess I did wave the idea of him trying the sundaes or shakes to get him a bit more enthusiastic, he is a sucker for sweets.

No comments: