Saturday, July 26, 2008

Deadwood Bar and Grille - Northville, Michigan

Deadwood is a true original, not cheap eats per se but with large portions that make it worth the price. I will give you Deadwood is not the best choice of monikers, rather offputting actually, the food however is rustic deliciousness. This restaurant specializes in game and rather manly food, complete with quality scotch and a cigar bar but don't worry ladies there is plenty to enjoy even for our crowd.

I love the appetizers here. The Roasted Garlic platter is a delight that includes roasted peppers, olive relish and alouette cheese with the grilled french bread. The Whitefish Pate is tasty, a slight smoky taste, mildly fishy with fresh dill and cream cheese. If you want to go whole hog I recommend the Wild Thang appetizer, a sampling of the pate, spicy venison sausage, rabbit ravioli, duck tenders and BBQ buffalo balls. A true hunter's delight.

The salads here are huge and I haven't had one yet I did not like. Warm Grilled Chicken Salad is lovely with strawberries, sunflower seeds and mandarin oranges. The Blue Cheese Harvest Salad is great with dried cherries and walnuts. The Smoked Turkey Waldorf is a favorite, using a honey vinaigrette rather than gooey mayo to join the celery, apples, grapes and walnuts, so yummy. The Spinach Salad which is a frequent special has the tastiest dressing and is a favorite of my mother's. The Fiesta Salad is very popular but I have yet to sample this taco style concoction.

If you are hungry, the BBQ sandwiches, chicken or beef, could feed you for the whole day. Definitely use a knife and fork, these are serious sammies. Upgrade to fries or onion rings, the chips are nothing spectacular. The burgers are half pounders and you have your choice of beef, buffalo or ostrich. Ostrich is much leaner and better for you but I prefer the taste of buffalo, still better for you than beef at any rate. You can ask for a side garden or wild green salad and do my burger salad trick and feel a lot less guilty about your burger indulgence, they are very accomodating in here. The other sandwiches are quite large and reportedly very tasty but I have too many other things I like here.

The steaks here are well cooked and seasoned. The game is just so well prepared. The road kill grill platter with venison, quail (yummy) and wild boar sausage is fun and even comes with an "I eat my road kill" bumper sticker. I think the venison is better in the Venison Brochette, but anything wrapped in bacon is bound to taste delicious. I am not a fan of the Buffaloaf, but I am clearly in the minority as it is quite popular. The BBQ ribs, chicken and shrimp look great but I have too many BBQ places I eat that at to indulge here. The prices of the entrees are much higher, quality stuff but if you are looking for a deal stick to a salad or sandwich.

Specials are always worth a whirl. I love the tender Pot Roast on Tuesdays, the all you can eat Fish and Chips on Wednesdays, the Pot Pie on Fridays and the Turkey Dinner on Sundays. During the summer they have had Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs with Potato Salad and Baked beans and if you see them they are a must try.

Desserts here are massive. My faves are the homemade chocolate chip cookies, ask for some ice cream and make cookie ice cream sammies if you really want to be bad. The S'mores are a fun treat, I love toasting marshmallows! The strawberry shortcake is jusy yum and big enough for three. Do not order your own dessert or you may never finish it.

If you are looking for big hearty and fresh food with a bit of a twist I highly recommend Deadwood.

No comments: