Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Detroit Beer Co - Detroit, Michigan

I am not a fan of beer, I do however love cuisine that matches nicely with the stuff. Beer brewing restaurants have hearty and unassuming fare, usually with a bit of zip to it. The beer here is decently priced and I have sampled some and found it to be decent, but not really enough to tempt me. A friend of mine is hooked on their Local 1529 IPA variety and swears by it.

This is one of the few places I have actually drank and it is overpriced but very tasty. Going for drinks with my friends, I had a sip of bizarrely yummy drink that tastes like a bomb pop, a swig of a friend's Bailey's laden martini and my own lovely Long Island iced tea that I really needed after a long day of training. Spendy but sometimes you need to splurge.

I have to preface any review by confessing I get a 15% off discount whenever I dine here due to my job. It does add to the appeal for me. I also have had work meetings here so I have had ample opportunity to sample the menu. The staff is friendly and seems to remember me (or at least my badge) whenever I come in. I am friendly with them too as should you be as they all work very hard, lugging food upstairs and down, not a job for the unfit or wimps.

I love the Brewhouse Nachos here with grilled chicken, big enough to share. The Spinach and Artichoke Dip here is good and served with plenty of colorful tortilla chips, it is a favorite of my boss. The Quesadillas are a favorite of one of my coworkers. The Pepperoni pizza is servicable but if you want the real deal try the zesty Pizza Vento with ground sausage, diced tomatoes, mozzarella and goat cheese with fresh basil.

The Detroit Burger is always an excellent choice and you can get it with smoked gouda even. It, like most of the sandwiches, is seved with the delicious crunchy coated waffle fries, bistro chips or coleslaw. The CBS sandwich is lovely with grilled chicken, swiss and crispy bacon. If you are in the mood for some healthier fare, I love the California Veggie Wrap, a ton of shredded veggies with avocado stuffed into a flour tortilla. The Country Grilled Cheese is excellent, with fontina and white cheddar cheese, smoked bacon and sliced Granny Smith apples grilled on fresh French bread. It is served with a cup of creamy Tomato Bisque and is quite a delight. The Cajun Salmon and Avocado sandwich is a treat with its spicy chipotle mayo and whole grain bun.

If you are looking for heartier food, you cannot go wrong with the Brewmaster's Shepherd's Pie or the delicious Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Chicken. The chicken comes with lovely pesto mashed potatoes and a reduced balsamic glaze that just makes everything happy. You can get a smaller portion of the Shepherd's Pie for under five bucks which is a real steal.

This place is always hopping. It really slams on game days so watch out. It is a casual and fun place, perfect for hanging out with friends or coworkers and enjoying a bit of the city go by on the al fresco 'patio' area.

No comments: