Friday, July 11, 2008

Pei Wei Asian Diner- Novi, Michigan

I have to confess that I have long loved the uber overpriced PF Chang's. I will go there but after feel quite nauseous at what I have spent. The story of my life, I love good food but loathe paying for it.

Happiness has arrived in Novi with Pei Wei. Owned by PF Chang's, it is a casual version a'la Qdoba or Noodles and Company. You place your order at the cash register and they bring it to your self selected table after you get your own drink, napkins and utensils. If you are me you also grab all the condiments to experiment with.

The menu is not as extensive as Chang's but offers many of the favorites. The Minced Chicken in Cool Lettuce Wraps are identical to Chang's as is the Kung Pao Shrimp which is my husband's favorite Asian dish of all time. You can get the excellent brown rice with it too as well as having a white rice option. The Crab Wontons are swimming in a tasty sauce yet stay crispy on the outside with a delicious creamy middle. I utterly adored the giant bowl of moist Fried Rice with big slices of tender chicken and plenty of veggies, at only 6.75 it could easily feed two people if you got an appetizer too. I am normally not a fried rice fan either.

The Pei Wei Spicy chicken was okay but did not live up to the spicy at all. The snap peas and carrot made me quite happy though, still crunchy and made just the way I like it. The Spring Rolls were fine but I would not get them again as they were the weakest part of our experience.

They had two teas, a chai and a green tea with mandarin. I had a very icy green tea decorated with the available lemon and orange wedges and fell in love. Refreshing and summery, it cooled off any heat from the food or the July afternoon.

Needless to say we will be back. My husband is so very picky about Asian and has limited me on how often I can pick it but volunteered to return to this bargain haven of Kung Pao James bliss the very next weekend. I am happy indeed.

No comments: