Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fortune Buffet - Livonia, Michigan

Ugh, I know, buffets. I am not a fan of the buffet as a general rule but the Fortune Buffet is an exception to the rule. This place was discovered after finding a coupon in the Free Press, which they run periodically, for ten percent off. You can also find one online all the time here: http://www.saveoneverything.com/moreinfo.php?advertiser_code=7345248383

I must confess I am greatly swayed by sushi. Here it is all you can eat and well that will make me visit happily. It is surprisingly well done. Talk to the sushi chef and he will make your favorites. He knows me on sight now and makes spicy tuna rolls, all kinds of salmon rolls, philly rolls and various eel concoctions whenever I am there. It is very nicely done and fresh, you can watch as he creates new the whole time you are there. It is not the top shelf of sushi but I still quite enjoy it and it is amazingly good for a buffet.

My mother loves the Mongolian style BBQ in back, where they will make fresh stir fries to your taste. I have tried these but feel they take up too much valuable sushi space in my stomach to really explore much. It is similar quality to the many Mongolian type BBQs I have sampled in the area and comes with the rest of the buffet as well so if you are into creating stir fries this may be the place for you.

They have four buffet tables, all with excellent choices. Selection varies but there is always something nice to be found. The Salt and Pepper Calamari is crunchy and good. The Peanut Butter Chicken is very nice. I like the salmon when they have it, right off the bone. I am fond of the dumpling fillings but skip the often tough skin. The Walnut Shrimp is quite delightful and is a favorite of my dad. He is also fond of the all you can eat crab legs but I am not, as I am not a snow crab devotee at all.

The desserts are something quite hit or miss. I love the almond Jell-O and the bananas in the strange orange sauce but avoid any of the more traditional looking cookies and whatnot. The ice cream is oddly icy and the sweets are just needing a bit more sugar or something. The fresh fruits are a very nice option and the oranges always seem to be perfect here.

Overall this is an excellent value. If you love sushi then you will be more than well taken care of.

No comments: