Sunday, July 27, 2008

Palermo Pizzeria - Canton, Michigan

I have been going to Palermo for years, it was a particular fave of my high school best friend. My father is a fan of the pizza and my mom likes the pasta. My husband who is a gigantic pizza snob believes this is the best pizza outside of his beloved Toledo places Ginos and Vitos.

I actually enjoy the pizza here quite a bit, even though I am not a huge 'za fan as a general rule. I do like it but I am so incredibly picky it is a rare thing for me to eat. My favorite here hands down is the the Meat Lover. The meat here is incredibly good, perfectly cooked and layered onto the pie. I have had single toppings and veggie combos here too and have never been disappointed. I would however avoid the Grilled Chicken Alfredo with its jarred sauce flavor. It's popular here but I find it a gooey heavy flop.

The pasta is nice as well, again avoid the alfredo. The optional meatballs are good but the Italian sausage is even better. It's definitely home style type pasta. I like the cheese Tortellini with marinara sauce but everyone else seems to stick with Spaghetti, especially with the baked mozzarella option. I on very rare occasion will have some Aglio Olio with the mushroom sauce option but I have to be in the mood for it, it is a bit oily for my stomach and unless you like that sort of thing I would not recommend it.

The salads are large. I like the Antipasto a lot as well as the Greek. Always fresh and good. The Antipasto is a good option for meat lovers, the Greek is full of nice veggies and zesty dressing. The side salads are basic but happy. I usually get greek, italian or olive oil and vinegar dressing, always get it on the side if you want to avoid too much as they have a heavy hand with it. I have never tried the soups, but the minestrone is a favorite of a friend of mine.

Sandwiches here are decent. The only one I have gotten personally is the Italian Sausage with the optional peppers and onions and it was a delight. Friends have been quite happy with other options but frankly I stick to pizza or pasta, I am a firm believer in eating specialties of the house when faced with a choice.

If you are looking for a good pizza, this is top notch. The extra large can easily feed five or six people and that is a cheap meal for a crowd. Look at http://www.saveondining.com/ for good coupons for here.

No comments: