Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Sweet Afton Tea Room - Plymouth, Michigan

*****Under new ownership, thank goodness, prayers are apparently answered even for not so angelic types such as myself. Please see here soon for a new review or go check the place out yourselves in the interim and feel free to post your thoughts in the comments section. My sincerest apologies to the new management team and of course you dedicated foodies, far be it from me to keep you from potential deliciousness.*****

This place makes me sad. I have long been a client, I started going to the Sweet Afton as a teenager when it was owned by a lovely former nurse named Sylvia. It has such fond memories for me of times with my mother, enjoying hot tea and a bit of frilly girly cuisine.

Now it is gone way downhill. The shepherd's pie is not up to snuff, it used to be just amazing. The tea sandwiches are served on bread that is less than fresh and they have some odd yellow margarine looking substance on the cucumber variety. The scones are less fluffy and the lemon curd is not what it was, don't get me started on the devon cream. The mini tart plate is still quite nice and the tea is always perfectly brewed but it is not enough for me to be returning.

The decor that was quite charming is now rather sterile and takes away from the overall experience. The lovely individual teapots and pretty teacups are gone, replaced with a more modern and frankly cheaper look. There are lots of double pots and diners at the same table often are asked to share which can be awkward. I also used to look forward to the various pretty pots to be honest.

The service is lackluster and the owner is less than concerned. I have had a few complaints of my own and was met by a rather appalling defensiveness borderlining on hostility. My last visit was particularly bad, I had called ahead and reserved a table yet was told when I sat down we could only have dessert and tea and that we needed to be out in a good fashion.

I cannot describe my utter disappointment with the Sweet Afton. I have been through several owners as well as a building move and celebrated many a milestone with tea and scones at their tables. No more. I can only hope that they sell soon to someone with more love and care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for your feedback - without our customers input, improvement is difficult. We purchased Sweet Afton Tea Room in April and have made many needed improvements.

We put a fresh coat of paint on the walls in the dining room and lobby and a had a long overdue removal of decorations and lights from Christmas 2007. Your comment about being "sterile" is puzzling.

You write that " the owner is less than concerned". You certainly did not talk to me or my wife.
We would love to meet with you in person at the tea room to listen to some of your concerns and suggestions.

Our daughters have the same fond memories of Sweet Afton Tea Room that you have. That is the reason that we purchased it. It is our goal to be caretakers of the long legacy of special memories being created here each day.

Please call 724-454-0777 to arrange a time to meet with us. We will be awaiting your phone call.

Sincerely,

Al and Phyllis Wilkerson

AngelOfDevs said...

Ahhh see this is a new blog and I am referring to an incident that occured earlier in the year.

I cannot tell you how delighted I am to hear of new ownership! I have been avoiding your restaurant and having very negative feelings which are clearly not directed at you.

Honestly I am very glad at this turn of events and would love to have a visit and perhaps find what I have been so sorely missing.

My apologies for any confusion that I may have caused and I assure you I will correct my original post to reflect that you are not at all to blame.

Thanks for the response :)
~Elizabeth~