Saturday, July 12, 2008

Jenny's Heart and Soul Food - Belleville, Michigan

I love places like Jenny's. Homey, friendly and tasty. This is the kind of restaurant where you make a friend as well as fill your belly. Jenny is quite a cook and everything in this joint is freshly homemade. Not a heart smart place by any means but well it's soul food and I am rather frightened by the idea of health concious soul food.

The fried chicken is amazing as is her catfish. Both are fried to order when you come in. I am partial to the chicken wings but my husband prefers the thighs and legs. My mother has yet to get anything other than the catfish, which she declares the best in the area. Jenny's ribs are legendary but I would call ahead if you are interested as they will sell out.

Her sides are all incredible and are served in more than generous portions. I love the red beans and rice, true comfort in a bowl. Her greens are tasty and perfect when zipped up with some of the handy hot sauce. The sweet potatoes are the very best I have tasted and I am a sweet potato fan, cinnamony and just a gooey delight. Honestly I have to take so much home because it is impossible to eat everything and I have to say it reheats well.

Her dessert is such a treat. You can take home a homemade sweet potato pie for under 10 bucks and trust me you will not regret it for a moment. Her pound cakes are so melt in your mouth good. I preferred the chocolate while my dad loves the lemony original style. She has white chocolate covered strawberries for a song as well.

One night she gave us samples of her jalapeno poppers with hot sauce and I have been hooked ever since. Try them, they are worth the time on the treadmill.

I have never tasted anything in here that wasn't great. Jenny's is well worth a trip into Belleville, I just adore her.

No comments: