Saturday, June 12, 2010

Atlantis Restaurant - Plymouth, Michigan

It was like Jekyll and Hyde.

I think the main issue with this visit was with the waitress, first she tried to seat our party of four at a table for eight. Odd. Then it is like pulling teeth to get anything off the authentic Mexican menu, which is what we came in for. At one point she tells us they don't have the authentic stuff, then it that they have it but it is limited. Finally one of the chefs come out and verbally go over the authentic menu with us, resulting in a miscommunication that has us overrun with food.

Don't get me wrong, the Mexican food was great, yay for tacos, and I appreciated the effort but I cannot recommend it to anyone not totally familiar with the menu already. I also gathered from the waitress they are not going to be featuring the authentic Mexican after they transition. I could be wrong, it was a very confusing experience. My dad seemed puzzled by the bill so I think they charged more this time too.

I will give our waitress that she was very friendly and brought out the good salsas and tried to make up for the confusion. It worked to perk us up but wouldn't have if we had been stuck with the Ameri-Mex.

My husband had an Italian trio as he could not wrap his head around ordering from memory. His lasagna was good, the spaghetti just ok and he was quite disappointed in the alfredo. Quite a carb fest so he had plenty for two plus meals though.

James and I split a cannoli for dessert. They gave us two smaller ones. Excellent. We also had a replacement server in the middle of our meal that had his act together. I think we would have done better if we had started with him.

I think I will just head over to Taqueria Alameda or La Casita next time I want a taco nearby. I will go back to Atlantis to sample the chicken piccata sometime though. I am just disappointed in this place. I don't know if the food was worth the hassle and I don't know if they will even have what I like next time I visit.

No comments: