Saturday, June 12, 2010

Que Huong Restaurant - Madison Heights, Michigan

Sometimes you have to make the trek. After months and months of wanting to visit I finally did.

We were torn on what to get so we had some dishes here and took home some banh mi for later. I was absolutely starved for Vietnamese so we were greedy. I figured it took me long enough to get out here, you never know when we will get it together to make it back, even though we have found it more than worth the trip.

My Dea inspired pick was a lovely portion of bun thit nuong. Delicious grilled pork and sparkly fresh veggies, rice noodles, wonderfully balanced flavors with the sauce. Yes I am drooling at the thought still, it is just a perfect spring/early summer type meal. It offered a bit of everything to tease the palette, spicy, salty, fresh, mmmm. The pork was just incredible.

We also ordered some com chien XO. Mmmmm more great pork, shrimp and egg with fried rice and XO sauce. It was my husbands pick and I was amazed with how tasty it was, again nicely spicy but with a lot of depth. It is the kind of dish where you notice all the flavors in every bite and you do not get bored a bit.

Sometimes my husband shocks me, I expected to love it here but I figured he would not at all as he has not sampled Vietnamese since he was a kid and was not a huge fan then. He is becoming more open thanks to consistent experimentation based on things I have discovered. It goes to show you that people can learn as they expand their horizons with good natured encouragement. A good lesson I think, if he can branch out, anyone can.

We both got grilled pork bahn mi to go and even a few hours later it was beyond stellar. Bargain priced, same great pork, fresh herbs and crispy veggies, it was so flavorful. The sauce, oh so sweet and addictive and the bread was perfect. I want one of these once a week.

Yes we will be back despite the hike and traffic issues and the fact going there is a giant pain in the butt for us. Thanks to Dea in particular as I stole most of her pork laden faves to try :). I did not go for her avocado milkshake though as I so do not need any more fat in my life LOL.

No comments: