Saturday, June 12, 2010

Zingerman's Roadhouse - Ann Arbor, Michigan

Seriously good eats at seriously high prices.

I have been mulling a review here for awhile. I don't usually come here with James as he hates the prices but I have swung by quite a few times with my money is no object parents who adore the place.

As a foodie-ish type person I admire the quality of the ingredients and the taste. The atmosphere and presentation are a little less wow. Charming but kind of claustrophobic really, maybe it is all the people. Waiting is not my fave thing either so I come at odd hours or make a reservation.

I love the rotating cheese board as an app, getting to pick from a good variety of just amazing cheeses, plus knowing that after I can swing by their shop and get more if I particularly liked them. Always a great selection and just a very nice option.

The BBQ fresh oysters have such great flavor and the shrimp and crab puppies or maize and blue puppies are sinful but fun. The sweet potato fries are indeed all that people rave of.

I personally like the macaroni and three peppercorn goat cheese, but I advise splitting it as the whole dish alone is overwhelmingly rich. My husband really liked the pimento cheese and bacon version of macaroni, he also does not love his arteries obviously.

I love the beef brisket and the buttermilk fried chicken and usually split one of those with my mom (after the apps it works). My dad loves the BBQ pork or ribs. The braised greens and the grits with cheddar are very good indeed. The creamy mushroom soup is always amazing.

I almost forgot: at lunch a must is the peacemaker po'boy sandwich with fried oysters (happy hurrah), pickled green tomatoes, cabbage and mayo. Heaven, no words.

They have a stellar caipirinha in here as well as a drink called a papa doble with lime and grapefruit juice, simple syrup and maraschino liqueur that I really liked. Possibly the best cuba libre ever too as I am normally not a fan. Not cheap but wow the drinks pack a punch and are made with top notch ingredients like everything else here.

Service is friendly and knowledgable but while some find it a bit pretentious I recognize the true enthusiasm for the food and appreciate it. This place is great with a few people to share stuff with as you can try more.

I have yet to make it to dessert.

No comments: