Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pollo Chapin - Detroit, Michigan

So cheap and so damn tasty!

I did not go artery friendly here in the least. I needed carbs and fat and all things evilly delicious. We thought about burritos or tamales but we ultimately decided we would just indulge ourselves with fried chicken. We figured if it rocked we would come back and try other things.

The chicken noodle soup has a full bodied broth filled with plenty of curly egg noodles, chicken pieces and veggies. It is very impressive indeed. Filling too as a good chicken noodle is.

I also really loved the pickled zippy carrots from the container with the peppers. I haven't had pickled carrots like that since I was younger and these brought back especially fond memories. I am a sucker for carrots.

The fried chicken is crispy, juicy and perfectly spiced. Deliciously meaty. I agree with Allen that Three Brother's chicken is mighty good but I do have to respectfully say this is even better than that in my own humble opinion. This has better flavored flesh for my palate, the chicken itself tastes amazing, not just the skin.

The mac and cheese was a hit with both of us. I loved the jalapeno bits a lot. It was creamy with that little kick that balanced it out. Plain mac and cheese is just not my thing, usually I have to put hot sauce on it to make it happy. This was perfect as is, which is a huge treat.

The remolacha salad with beets really works for me. I am a huge fan of beets and this was just like a surprise party in my mouth. I did not expect it to be this tasty at all. Zesty and happy. It was a perfect match with fried chicken and mac and cheese, it sort of cut the heaviness of everything with a bit of zip.

Everything in here is bargathon priced. The service is home-like and friendly, very welcoming. Overall, it's a very nice experience.

If this place were in the burbs, everyone would be packed in here and you would never get a seat. Come down to Detroit already 'burbanites, the food is worth it and it is not as scary as you would think.

No comments: